Teaching of Design & Technology
Our Design and Technology teaching sequence will be:
- Big picture: Placing the DT being studied in the context of similar past learning in the subject Study of a design technician or model example (which may include independent research and makes links to reading).
- Daily review: Brief review of learning covered in previous lesson.
- Teacher delivers design brief, posing the problem to be solved
- Children research existing products and possible construction materials/ingredients/ tools.
- Children create their own design, in response to the brief and research.
- Children make product.
- Children evaluate their work.
It is our intent that Design and Technology is an inspiring, practical, meaningful and memorable subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. Topics are cross-curricular and support a broad range of subject knowledge, drawing on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art.